UK Deliveryonly £2.50 Free UK Deliveryon orders over £60! Worldwide shipping also available
Sew the Indigo Dress in a Day
The Indigo Dress by Tilly and the Buttons is a year-round staple that’s so easy to wear and a great introduction to Dressmaking. Wear Indigo in the Winter with tights and boots, dress her up for a night out or wear her in Summer with flip-flops. The throw over your head, on-trend smock style is so easy to wear you’ll reach for it time and time again.
Our sewing classes are relaxed and friendly, taking place at our beautiful studio at Holme Grange Craft Village in Wokingham, Berkshire. You’ll get to use our brand new digital Janome sewing machines and class sizes are capped at six to ensure everyone gets the time and attention they need.
Please note we are a Covid-19 Secure Further Education venue and have implemented all government guidelines. Please see our FAQ’s page for further information.
You will learn
- Measuring yourself and choosing the correct pattern size
- Understanding a sewing pattern
- Cutting out your pattern & fabric accurately
- Sewing darts
- Adding in seam pockets
- Adding a facing
- Using interfacing
Please note we won’t have time to do the exposed frill seam option in this class, but you’ll have the pattern and full instructions to use for another version.
The class includes expert instruction, use of our Janome machines, tools, threads etc, a copy of the Indigo dress pattern so you can make again at home plus tea, coffee and cake!
YOU NEED TO BRING
- 2.5m of 150cm wide, or 3m of 115cm wide light to medium weight drapey fabric. We suggest cotton lawn, chambray or soft washed denim especially if this is your first dressmaking project. If you have sewn a couple of dressmaking projects before you could use a viscose or crepe with more drape. (If you’re not sure please contact us)
- Matching thread – we provide a wide choice of coloured threads to use during the class but if there is a specific colour match or top-stitching colour you would like, we recommend bringing your own
You need to be comfortable know how to use a sewing machine but don’t need to have done any dressmaking. You can complete our Introduction to Sewing for complete beginners class or be of an equivalent experience level.
Please note the complexity of your pattern, and your level of sewing experience may mean you might not entirely complete your dress in the one day class, but you will be given lots of tips and help to ensure you are comfortable completing your project at home.
The Indigo pattern is UK 8 – 24, you can see the body measurements in the photo gallery. If you fall outside of these measurements please contact us prior to booking as we may be able to grade the pattern for you.
Our classes are non-refundable so please make sure you’ve checked your diary carefully and read our Class FAQs before booking. These also cover lots of other questions so please do read them!
Please note you’ll receive a confirmation email upon booking and you’ll also receive a reminder email the week before your class. If you don’t receive these, please check your junk/spam folder.