UK Deliveryonly £2.50 Free UK Deliveryon orders over £60! Worldwide shipping also available
Learn to Sew a Shift Dress
This sewing class will help you sew up a classic wardrobe staple – the simple shift dress. A chic, elegant shape, the shift dress is the perfect dress to develop your sewing and dressmaking skills.
You’ll learn how to sew bust darts, set in sleeves and finish a neckline with bias binding and and insert an invisible zip.
Our sewing classes are relaxed and friendly, taking place at our beautiful studio at Holme Grange Craft Village in Wokingham, Berkshire. You’ll get to use our brand new digital Janome sewing machines and class sizes are capped at six to ensure everyone gets the time and attention they need.
The class includes expert instruction, use of the Janome machines, tools, threads etc, your own copy of the shift dress pattern so you can make again at home plus tea, coffee and lots of biscuits!
What you need to bring
- 2.7m of light to medium weight fabric. We suggest cotton lawn or cotton poplin, please don’t choose a slippery fabric such as viscose or crepe unless you are very confident cutting and sewing with it. This will allow you to focus on learn new techniques, not wrestling with your fabric! (If you aren’t sure, please contact us)
- 0.5m fusible interfacing (you can purchase this on the day or online here)
- Matching thread – we provide a wide choice of coloured threads to use during the class but if there is a specific colour match or top-stitching colour you would like, we recommend bringing your own
- For version 2 you will need a 12″ – 16″ invisible zip.
- The dress pattern includes UK 6 – 26. If you fall outside of these measurements please contact us prior to booking as we may be able to grade the pattern for you.
More questions? Take a look at our Class FAQs, these also cover our Class Cancellation Policy.