UK Deliveryonly £2.50 Free UK Deliveryon orders over £60! Worldwide shipping also available
Learn to Sew – Dress in a Day – Bettine
Our Learn to Sew Bettine class for beginners is the perfect class for people who want to start sewing their own clothes but need some extra guidance. The Bettine dress is a loose fitting dress with an elasticated waist, sleeve cuffs and flattering tulip skirt, with pocket options. It’s perfect for summer or can be worn with tights for a year-round wardrobe addition.
Our sewing classes are relaxed and friendly, taking place at our beautiful studio at Holme Grange Craft Village in Wokingham, Berkshire. You’ll get to use our brand new digital Janome sewing machines and class sizes are capped at five to ensure everyone gets the time and attention they need.
You will learn
- Measuring yourself and choosing the correct pattern size
- Understanding a sewing pattern
- Lengthening/shortening your pattern, making simple fit alterations and choosing style options
- Cutting out your pattern & fabric accurately
- Sewing and finishing seams
- Adding a facing
- Sewing pockets
- Adding sleeve tabs
- Creating an elastic waist casing
- How to hem your dress
WHAT IS INCLUDED
The class includes expert instruction, use of the Janome machines, tools, threads etc, a copy of the Bettine dress pattern so you can make it again at home, an exclusive Sewisfaction class pack, top tips pack, plus tea, coffee and cake!
YOU NEED TO BRING
- 2m (2 ¼ yards) x 150cm (60in) wide OR 3m (3 ¼ yards) x 115cm (45in) wide light weight, drapey fabric. We suggest viscose, rayon, light weight soft denim, double gauze, soft cotton poplin or cotton lawn (If you aren’t sure, please contact us)
- 0.3m fusible interfacing (you can purchase this on the day or online here)
- Matching thread – we provide a wide choice of coloured threads to use during the class but if there is a specific colour match or top-stitching colour you would like, we recommend bringing your own
- 2 buttons for the optional sleeve tabs
The Bettine pattern is UK 6 – 20, you can see the body measurements in the photo gallery. If you fall outside of these measurements please contact us prior to booking as we may be able to grade the pattern for you.
Our classes are non-refundable so please make sure you’ve checked your diary carefully and read our Class FAQs before booking. These also cover lots of other questions so please do read them!
Please note you’ll receive a confirmation email upon booking and you’ll also receive a reminder email the week before your class. If you don’t receive these, please check your junk/spam folder.