UK Deliveryonly £2.50 Free UK Deliveryon orders over £60! Worldwide shipping also available
Bodice Block Fitting with Elisalex
How often have you wished for a perfect fitting bodice that you could use to create multiple dresses? If you’ve ever struggled to get a bodice to fit you just right, and found the idea of pattern alteration more than a bit daunting, then this class is for you!
During this one-day intensive class, Elisalex of By Hand London sewing patterns will guide you through the fitting and alteration process for a regular darted bodice using the By Hand London Holly bodice. By the end of the class you will not only have a new bodice block that fits your body like a dream, but all the tools and confidence to tackle the fitting of other patterns as well!
Students will learn:
- How to take accurate body measurements
- Full bust adjustment for a darted bodice
- Small bust adjustment for a darted bodice
- Lengthening and shortening a bodice
- How to raise and lower bust darts
- How to fix a gaping back neckline
- How to fix a tight back for rounded shoulders
- How to alter for a swayback
- How to raise or lower a neckline
- Some basic sleeve alterations
- How to diagnose fit issues that can’t be spotted on measurements alone
- How to make pattern alterations to the paper pattern
- How to make pattern alterations to a toile
Please note that this class will end up being structured according to the individual needs of the students; not everyone will have to make the same alterations, and some other fit issues not mentioned above may come up, and will be addressed. The aim of the class is to arm each student with the tools and know-how in order to make bodices to fit their own body, plus a broader understanding of pattern alteration in general from seeing other alterations being performed.
The class includes expert instruction, use of the Janome machines, tools, threads etc, a copy of the bodice pattern, plenty of calico to sew up your toile and of course tea, coffee and cake!
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING
Nothing! Everything you need for this class is included.
Dressmaker and co-founder of sewing pattern brand By Hand London, Elisalex de Castro Peake trained as a shoemaker and spent five years working in the fashion industry before turning her passion for sewing into a career. As well as designing sewing patterns and blogging over at ByHandLondon.com, Elisalex has taught sewing classes all over the UK, contributes to various sewing publications and creates bespoke gowns for private clients.
More questions? Take a look at our Class FAQs, these also cover our Class Cancellation Policy.